Sunday, February 28, 2016

A weekend in Philly

I know most of ya'll don't read the blog to hear about me. But there's a small chance that my Grandma still wants to know what I'm up to, so bear with me.

I've been in Philadelphia this weekend while Patrick has held the fort down with the children. I'm pretty sure he'll be a little grayer by the time I get home. He leaves for his annual ski trip on Wednesday (this time to Salt Lake City to visit Will and Cory too!) so don't feel too sorry for him.

Anyhoo, I went to a conference - Understanding Interventions - for professional development to help understand strategies meant to recruit and retain minority students in science. My colleague and good friend Josh gave a talk about the data we have that shows that GRE scores aren't a good predictor of success in graduate school (for the sciences). People seemed really interested in his talk, so hopefully he'll get around to publishing his data soon.


The conference ended Sunday at noon and my good friend Jess, who was a post-doc in my grad school lab, came and met me for the afternoon to hang out. We stopped for an authentic Philly cheesesteak, of course. One, whiz, with.



It was a beautiful day so we walked everywhere and went to the amazing Barnes Foundation Museum, which made for a fantastic afternoon. It has the largest collection of Renoir paintings, over 180! We so got to see some Van Gogh, Monet, Picasso, and Degas too. (No pics of the paintings, sorry!)

The Philadelphia city hall is a beautiful building, so...I took a picture.


When we were in Philly over the summer, Peyton really wanted to see the Ben Franklin Bridge, but we never actually got to see it. This picture of the bridge is for him that I was able to take on the drive to the airport.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: