Saturday, April 5, 2008

What's in a Name?

We had told everyone that the baby was a boy, so we figured something should be a surprise, which is why we decided to keep the name a secret. But as you now know, his name is Peyton Christopher Harrell. According to our baby name book, Peyton is a variant of the name Patrick, Latin for the Roman Patricians, or nobles and aristocrats (the Irish association comes from St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland). We didn't want the baby to be Patrick Jr., so we thought Peyton was the next best thing. Christopher, the middle name, is a family name on my mom's side of the family. My great grandfather was Christopher, my grandmother's brother was Christopher, and my mom is Christine (and everyone calls her Chris) so we thought it would be appropriate to keep the Christopher name in the family!

We're all doing pretty well. We came home from the hospital yesterday afternoon (Friday), and we had a very very rough night. Peyton screamed at the top of his lungs for pretty much the whole night. His cry is now very hoarse. Luckily, we had an appointment with the pediatrician this morning. He asked me some questions about my milk, and he said that Peyton is probably still hungry after feedings because he's not getting enough since my milk hasn't come in yet. I've still just got colostrum and its not enough to keep him satisfied. He said that until it does, we should supplement him with just a little formula after he's finished breast feeding. We've tried that a few times today and he definitely seems to settle down quite a bit more if we give him the little bit of extra. I've been pumping a little bit too so we give him that instead of the formula if we have enough. I'm concerned about the whole bottle vs. breast and formula vs. breast milk thing because I want the breast feeding to work and I don't want him to prefer the bottle over the breast. But the doctor assured us that all bets are off as long as my milk is not in yet. So, we're still waiting for that, but in the meantime we're hoping that things will go a bit better tonight and we can all get a little bit of rest.
Patrick and my mom have been great. I don't know would I would do without either one of them. Patrick has this dad thing down pretty darn good - I'm pretty lucky.

We've taken lots of pictures and will work on getting them posted so that everyone can see them soon.

2 comments:

Aunt Donna said...

Everything from breast feeding to sleeping will get better with time. I always knew Patrick would be a great dad, especially after he got so involved during your pregnancy. Take advantage of his help and your mom's so you can heal and recover. But most of all, enjoy your baby. I really like the name Peyton Christopher and I'm looking forward to meeting him.
Love,
Aunt Donna

Debb-Kevv said...

Try not to worry too much because it does all get easier. It sounds like everyone is doing well and as Aunt Donna said, take advantage of the help while you can and enjoy every minute with Peyton.
Love, Debbie