Thursday, April 10, 2008

Week 1

I'm not going to lie. This is hard. I had no idea. Patrick says they lied to us. Each day actually gets a little better, but the breast-feeding has been way more challenging than I had anticipated. My milk had a hard time coming in, so Peyton really wasn't getting enough to eat. Finally between day 5 and day 6, my milk came in, although I never really did get that engorged feeling or anything. Hopefully I'll keep producing more and more, because this is one heck of a hungry boy. Night before last, he ate, pooped, and screamed pretty much non-stop between 10pm and 2am. My mom and I were on duty and by poop number 6, all we could do was laugh. Thank goodness my mom is here. I don't know what I would do without her. She's been such a big help. She's not sleeping either, but somehow she's managing to keep up with the laundry, keeping me fed, burping Peyton, changing his diaper, etc.

Last night, my mom and Patrick took turns sleeping downstairs with Peyton and just brought him to me to be fed. That way, I could get a little bit of sleep. Up until then I had been trying to have him sleep in the cradle next to me and every little noise he made, I would jump up and see what he was doing or what he needed, so I wasn't sleeping at all. I feel a lot better today. Its amazing what some sleep can do for you.

So, we're adjusting. Still getting used to each other. But now I know he cries for two reasons: he needs to eat, or he needs to poop. He's got terrible gas. After the 6th poop in a row the other night, I knew he was a Harrell! His daddy is so proud!

Patrick says I had such an easy pregnancy, I had to pay for it somehow. And between the labor and this first week at home, I feel like I've paid my dues. The delivery was a lot more difficult than I had anticipated. My labor started about 3am. I had gotten up to use the bathroom and noticed a little blood, so I was hoping that meant things were starting. I got back in bed and woke Patrick up. He asked if we could sleep just a little longer, but within just a few minutes, I had a contraction. Then I had another one. Yep, I was in labor. I called my mom and told her to get on the next plane. I got in the bathtub to get ready to go to the hospital, thinking we still had a few hours before we needed to do that. Then we started counting the contraction length and frequency and realized that they were between 3 and 5 minutes apart and lasting between 45 and 70 seconds. The doctor had told me I should go to the hospital once they were 5 minutes apart and lasting for a minute and this had gone on for an hour. At that point Patrick realized that he really needed to pack, walk Nellie, and get ready to go. I've never seen him move that fast. We left the house a little after 6am, stopped at church and said a prayer, then arrived at the hospital. They wheeled me up to the labor and delivery floor, checked to see if I was dilated and I was already between 4 and 5cm, so they gave me a labor room. I opted for the epidural right away - I was pretty uncomfortable. I stopped feeling my contractions in my abdomen, but was really feeling them in my back. I think Peyton was right up against my tailbone. By 10am, I was 8cm. My mom's plane was getting ready to take off and she was nervous that she wouldn't make it in time. But at this point, things kind of slowed down. They ended up breaking my water sometime around noon if I remember correctly (things are kind of hazy). After another hour or so, I was still only 8cm, so they started me on pitocin (sp?). My mom arrived at this point, relieved that she made it in time. Around 3:30pm I was 10cm and started pushing. Wow. I wasn't prepared for this part at all. The midwife asked me if I had taken the childbirth class and I said yes, and she said ok, good, so you know how to push. I looked at Patrick and he had a blank look on his face too, so I turned to her and asked if we could go over that part. You know, no one said a word in our childbirth class about pushing. I hadn't even realized it until that exact moment. But looking back, how do you complete a childbirth class without having covered pushing??? As prepared as I was for everything else, and as much as I had read about everything, I was clueless about pushing. But we went over what to do and I proceeded to push for 3 freakin' hours. I had not realized how difficult this part was going to be. At this point, I had no idea that I was about to push out an almost 10 lb baby either, but that may explain why it was so hard to get him out. Once he was born, my placenta wouldn't deliver on its own so they had to manually remove it. That was fun. But there he was, born at 6:42PM weighing in at 9lbs, 13oz and he was just beautiful.

He's got to be one of the luckiest little boys in the world. Between Patrick and my families, he has 12 grandparents or great grandparents. Somehow, we managed to find unique names for all of them. Here they are:

My family:
My mom - Lollie
My stepdad - Pops
My dad - Gramps
My mom's mom - Grandma
My mom's dad - Paw-Paw
My dad's mom - Granny
My stepdad's mom - Mimi

Patrick's family:
His mom - Lulu
His dad - Papa
His mom's mom - MawMaw
His dad's mom - Big Mama
His dad's dad - Big Daddy


I will eventually try to post more pictures. Peyton keeps me pretty busy, but I will try to post some things periodically between feedings and poopy diapers.

5 comments:

T-Rez said...

You are too good. Sleep deprived and all still keeping us in the loop via your blog!
Poor little guy has to learn the names of 12 grandparents...wait till he learns about aunts, uncles and cousins! Yes, he is lucky.
Hang in there sweetie.

Debb-Kevv said...

You must be feeling a little better and more rested if you actually took the time to blog. I don't know if I wouldn't have said tough to all you people and leave me alone!! It's a lot to get adjusted to but I know you and Patrick will do wonderful, and it does get easier. What a list of names Peyton will have to remember and people to get used to. Poor baby but also very lucky!
Love, Debbie

Aunt Donna said...

I'm so glad you're still blogging. Don't give up or get frustrated because it is really hard but it gets so much easier so quickly. When I first brought Greg home he also had stomach pains and cholic and nursing was difficult. I got so upset after 3 or 4 days that I called Deanna (she lived in the same apt complex) and told her I was starving my baby and asked her to please go get us some formula before I killed him. Of course, she went and before she got back Greg was nursing happily - and I had recovered fron my panic attack. I think my relief that help was on the way somehow calmed him down. After that, the only time I used formula was when I left him with a sitter and I can't tell you how easy it was to nurse instead of boiling bottles and mixing formula. You are lucky to have so much help right now so keep leaning on your support team and if needed it sounds like there are enough grandparents, aunts, cousins, etc. to keep a rotation of extra arms available!
Love,
Aunt Donna

Anonymous said...

Jessica I love reading the blog and keeping up with what's going on. You're doing great!! You have such humor in your writing. Things will get better.....I wanted to give you some time before I called. Bobby has called a couple of times to give me updates. Just know....you're in my thoughts every day. Can't wait to see all of you.
Love ya,
Tricia

Unknown said...

Everybody's right. It will get easier and there are so many little things that happen along the way that the hard times completely fade. He's a big boy so he's hungry! You and Patrick were meant to be parents and you know how to do it. My first week home alone, I thought I was going mad. When Uncle Bobby came home from work I would give him Jesse and say "see ya"! And then I go take a shower for as long as the hot water lasted. I felt rejuvenated and was able to get back in the game. It all works out.It must be hard to find time to get on the computer but we all love that you keep us informed. We'll keep reading until Peyton's married and having kids of his own.
We love all three of you and your mom is the best!!!
Love,
Aunt DeDe