Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Kindness of Strangers

The one good thing about traveling alone with a baby is that people are very, very nice to you. It was time for Peyton and me to head back to NC this morning, after a wonderful visit home to NO for Christmas. Patrick and Nellie had flown back home on Sunday so it was just me and the little man to conquer the airports alone.
I thought I could handle Peyton, the stroller, a rolling carry-on piece of luggage, a large diaper bag, and another rolling checked piece of luggage all by myself. I should say that traveling with Peyton has gotten considerably more difficult since early October when I last flew alone with him. But thank goodness the older couple sitting next to me on the first leg of the flight insisted on standing up and getting out of their seats only moments after takeoff so that I could retrieve the pacifier Peyton threw on the ground when he got mad. And thank goodness the man insisted on rolling the carry-on at least to the top of the jetway for me at the end of the flight (I should mention that he was walking with a cane in the other hand.) I was also grateful that the man sitting next to me on the second leg didn't mind the oatmeal flakes that went everywhere when Peyton knocked the bowl because I wasn't adding water and feeding him fast enough. I was also very thankful that the pilot of the plane helped me roll everything to the top of the jetway at the end of that flight too. And the woman that helped me drag everything to the curb once I retrieved my checked luggage so that I could wait for my ride was also very nice. And there were countless other people that offered to help throughout the morning as I schlepped through the airports struggling to maintain my sanity. I was reminded today about the kindness of strangers and I am very thankful for all of their help in our safe and sucessful trip home.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It was nice of all those people to help out. I'm sure your kindness shined through so they didn't need much encouragement to offer their help. And Peyton is such a sweetie I'm sure they were glad to do something for him, too. Glad you got home safe and sound. It was wonderful seeing all three of you and have a happy, healthly new year.
Love,
Aunt Dede

Debb-Kevv said...

Isn't amazing how we are so quick to forget how good people really are when we are always flooded with what is bad in the world. I am so glad that you were able to see that goodness in your time of need. It definitely is not easy traveling alone with an infant. It was great seeing all of you for Christmas. Hope you had a Happy New Year and of course I can't wait to see you all again.
Love, Aunt Debbie