Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Peyton's First Cold

It had to happen sooner or later. Peyton has been lucky enough to avoid the sniffles for 4 months, but it wasn't meant to last. He started with a cough alone a couple of weeks ago that progressed into a stuffy nose that led to a fever this weekend. I took him to the doctor on Monday afternoon (after a visit on Friday when the pediatrician thought he was fine and I was being an overly paranoid mother) and we discussed his symptoms further. The pediatrician wasn't completely sure that he had an ear infection. He asked me to wait to see if the fever subsided on its own over the next day or two. It didn't after a day and I decided it wasn't worth waiting until day 2, so I filled the prescription and gave Peyton his first dose of antibiotics last night. That was certainly a challenge. When the pharmacist told me the dose was 5 mLs, I thought to myself that I have trouble getting him to take 1 mL of tylenol, how in the world am I going to get him to take 5 mLs of antibiotic? I think Peyton wore more of the medicine on his clothes than he got in his mouth the first two times. Then Dad took over and gave him the third dose and did a way better job of getting the medicine down than I did. At least when he was done, Peyton's eyebrows weren't the color of pink bubble gum. Peyton seems to be acting like he feels a lot better today and he only has a low-grade fever. Hopefully we're nearing the end of this nasty cold.

2 comments:

Aunt Donna said...

I'm realy glad he's feeling better. Just hate to see babies uncomfortable and unable to tell us why. It was a treat to see both of you last weekend. It's amazing how much Peyton has changed. Seeing him is so much better than just seeing pictures - although you know I love seeing those! Keep up the good work Patrick - those meds can be a real battle.
Love,
Aunt Donna

Unknown said...

We were all worried but I'm glad he's doing better. Gotta' love those pink antibiotics. Jesse would go to the doctor for routine stuff and wanted the pink medicine! It was great seeing you this past weekend. Granny loved her party and having all of her great-grandchildren there.
Love,
Aunt Dede