Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Weeks 35 and 36

I know, I know! I'm waaaayyyyy behind on the blog. I've been busy! I taught a class about C. elegans (the organism that I work on in the lab) at another university yesterday, so all of my energy was going into preparing for that. I thought it went really well. The class was really interactive and I had a blast.

I think we pretty much have everything ready for the baby. My hospital bag is mostly packed, the baby's room is set up, most of his gizmos and gadgets are put together, so now I think we just need him to arrive! We do still need to install the car seat in the car, but it seems a little complicated so we are going to go by the fire station and let someone there show us how to put it in properly. And I still need to call the pediatrician - I'm going to do that today, I swear! I know which pediatrician I want - I just need to call and see if they have an opening. Daycare is all settled, so that's a big relief.

We've taken our childbirth class and our newborn care class. We have the breastfeeding class left to take and we're scheduled to do that tomorrow night. Yes, I am dragging Patrick with me to the class. He has protested, but has finally agreed to come. I've heard it can be difficult to breastfeed and get frustrating sometimes, so I just want him to be educated about it so that he can help me. I asked the lady on the phone when I confirmed the class yesterday if there would be other men there and she assured me that other people had indicated that they were bringing guests. I guess I'm just hoping they're bringing their husbands and not their moms. If Patrick is the only guy in the class, he'll never let me forget it!

I went to the doctor yesterday. Everything seems fine, so I'll go back in a week. I'm considered full term at 37 weeks, which is tomorrow! The doctor did say that his head is down, so he's in position and ready to come out! But I have absolutely no indication that this baby is coming anytime soon. He seems quite comfortable where he is. No braxton-hicks contractions or anything. I guess we just sit around and wait now. He's going to get an eviction notice if he doesn't show up by April 9th, my official due date. No more free womb and board! Actually, the doctor said she probably wouldn't induce before 41 - 41 1/2 weeks, which wouldn't be until sometime after April 16th. Arrgghhh! I don't think I can wait that long!

Any predictions on when he'll come or how big he'll be? My lab has a pool going. They are all going to the beach the weekend in April right after my due date (without me this year, unfortunately) and for some reason, no one thinks he's coming that weekend. I don't know...its possible that he could be a few days late! One of them is predicting that he's going to be over 10 lbs when he comes out! He thinks I have a big belly! I think he's just trying to make me scared. I was only 7lbs, 2oz. Patrick was over 8 lbs, but I think 10 lbs is a stretch.

The baby should be about 6 lbs now and is probably a little over 18 inches long. His kidneys are fully functional and his liver is capable of processing most types of waste. Physically, he's finished the basics of development and will just be putting on weight from here on out. I guess that means I'm going to keep getting bigger! He is probably shedding the downy covering of hair and the waxy substance that protected his skin in the amniotic fluid for the last 9 months. He'll swallow these secretions which will form the contents of his first bowel movement. It will be a kind of blackish mixture called meconium. Ok, enough about poop, but isn't it exciting?!

7 comments:

Debb-Kevv said...

Okay, you might have gotten a little too technical there at the end. Do we really need to know all of that? I am good with the info but I am thinking of a couple of your other more squeamish aunts!!! I am glad your lecture went well. That is a fun and exciting thing to be doing. I will go out on a limb here and predict April 15th and a weight of 7 1/2 lbs. 22 inches long. Of course I never win anything so don't count on that. Have fun at your class tomorrow night and tell Patrick he will be glad that he went too.
Love, Debbie

Erin said...

Womb and board! Ha!

I predict April 12, 8 lbs, 21 inches long. If it was April 15, then a tax-day baby could be exciting....then again, I'm married to an accountant.

Aunt Donna said...

"Womb and board?????" Is this mommy humor at it's best? And enough of the baby poop talk - it brought back some best forgotten memories.
April 14th sounds like good day for a baby - and I'll go with 9 lbs 7oz and 21 1/2" just cause that's what my baby was and I thought he was perfect.
Glad to hear you enjoyed teaching the class - it really can be great fun when the students are into it, which they usually are if you are. Of course, I prefer the little ones in the student seats but sounds like your topic would have been a bit much for kindergarten!
Carry on - it sounds like you're doing a great job with this mommy-to-be stuff.
Love,
Aunt Donna

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting again. I was getting separation anxiety. I love the womb and board line. That's just too precious. And only a mommy-to-be with a scientific bend could appreciate the first baby poop. I'm not that squeamish like Aunt Debbie is insinuationg but I like the the other stuff you've been telling us. Will you still sometimes blog once that sweet boy is here? Will you have any time? Wishful thinking on my part I guess.
Okay, here's my guess...April 7th (nobody has suggested a date before your due date) and 8 lbs. 3 oz. and 20 inches long. Whoever gets the closest gets to hold him the first time you bring him to New Orleans.
Love,
Aunt DeDe

Elrond Hubbard said...

Awesome update. I was checking in to see if anything had happened yet. I'll be thinking about y'all. Doesn't Patrick's clarinet playing help with the breathing classes?

MOM said...

Oh, gosh!! I hope he doesn't decide to be too early or too late. April 9th works great for me. How about 8lbs 4oz, 21 1/2" long?
Love, MOM

Heather said...

I'm guessing April 12, 7 lbs, 2oz and 20 in long, even though for your sake I hope it's earlier!