Wednesday, March 26, 2008

37 and 38 Weeks

Today we are officially 2 weeks away from our due date. Time seems to be dragging along. If we just knew when he was coming, I think we'd feel a little more at ease. But the uncertainty is killing us!

I guess if you're reading this, you've probably seen the video. And if you haven't already, you'll just scroll down now and watch it. So, ok, I'm hormonal. I can't help it. I admit I may seem crazy at times. But I'm carrying around a 30lb bowling ball, which means I can only waddle so fast, I'm hot all the time, I have to get up and pee every couple of hours during the night, and I have some other aches and pains that I'll spare everyone the details of. I mean, you have to expect that I'm going to have a moment of hysteria every now and then. But, rest assured that I will get my husband back.

You may have also read about our breast feeding class. It was quite informative. Despite all of his protests and claims that there would be no other men in the class, it turns out that there were 9 other men in the class and 10 other women. I, of course, pointed out how many men were there and Patrick informed me that they were all there against their will too. But he survived and we learned a lot about how it all works.

I think we've officially covered all of our bases when it comes to educating ourselves about this whole process. We've taken classes about introducing the new baby to our dog, newborn care, childbirth, breast feeding, and we've taken a tour of the maternity ward of the hospital. I like to be well informed, and I certainly think we're as prepared as we can be. When it all comes down to it, I imagine that the knowledge is great to have, but nothing is ever as you plan or expect so you just have to go with the flow.

I have obviously entered the "nesting" phase. I've been cleaning, for crying out loud. Some may not realize that I HATE to clean. I like living in a clean house, but I hate cleaning. My sister's one piece of advice to Patrick when we got married was that he should hire a maid. I can't for the life of me figure out why he doesn't think that's a good idea. I think it would be worth every penny. I would be such a happier person. I get really grouchy when I clean. I have way more fun things to do than scrub toilets. But I've always heard about "nesting" and sure enough, there I was this weekend scrubbing the shelves of the refrigerator, dusting, vacuuming, and mopping. And I was grouchy.

We went to the doctor yesterday. Basically, we listened to the heartbeat ( a strong 138), the doctor asked me if I was having any contractions, I said no, and she said she'd see me next week. Patrick, after having to live with my grouchiness from cleaning all weekend, asked what we could do to speed the process along. She had a couple of suggestions, none of which really sounded appealing to me, so we're just going to have to let him come out when he's good and ready.

Once I hit 37 weeks, the baby was considered full term. His lungs are fully mature and ready to function on their own in the outside world. As we head into week 38, he probably weighs about 6.8 pounds and is over 19 1/2 inches long. In addition to his lungs, his other organs have matured and are also ready to function on their own. We're ready for his arrival, so hopefully he'll decide he wants to make his appearance soon! We'll keep everyone updated!

6 comments:

Haynes said...

Sounds like everything is going great. I am anxiously waiting to hear news.

Aunt Donna said...

Please don't appologize for your moods - you're pregnant and whatever you do or feel is ok!! It certainly sounds like you are both ready and prepared for the baby's arrival. I know I was not as informed as you are and Greg was allright (I think). Speaking of Greg, he just got a puppy so I guess I'm a grandmother again - although this definitely feels different than the first 2 times!
FYI: it's a boy, 4 months old, 27 lbs, mixed breed (pit and beagle), named Brutus. I hope I get to read that kind of info from you real soon!!
Love,
Aunt Donna

Debb-Kevv said...

At least you have an excuse for your moods!!! Sometimes I feel that same way and NO I am not pregnant. You are so prepared and ready but like you said you never know what will happen. I am so excited for you and can't wait to hear the good news.
Love, Aunt Debbie

MOM said...

Keep up the good work with all the cleaning. That way I can spend all my time up there playing with the baby and you can sleep!!! Hard to believe it's getting so close. Can't wait.
Love, MOM

Karen said...

I loved reading the blog. I've always heard you guys talk about it at Bible study, but I didn't know they address. It's fun to read the stories, especially since my sister is only a couple months behind you in her pregnancy. I wish she would have done something like this. I'm farther away than I'm used to being and this time is so special to share with family and friends. Hope you guys have a fast next couple of weeks and that the baby comes soon!

Unknown said...

Wow! Only two more weeks...it seems like yesterday that you made the announcement. You two have done everything and you sound ready. Just kick back and relax and he'll be here any time. Granny said she used to iron before her babies were born and that made her go into labor. I think that ironing would make me go into a loony bin but try it if you want. Although I can picture you dusting and vacuuming but ironing might be pushing it!?!?!?
I can't wait to hear it all especially HIS NAME!
Love, Aunt DeDe